Accessibility Audit

Is the NIC learn digital design & development page up meeting accessibility standards?

Yes, the learndigital website meets accessibility standards. The website is clean and straightforward, presenting enough- but not too much- information to the reader. In general, the website is accessible to a wide variety of audience, including those with disabilities. However, there are a few issues of varying severity which will be addressed throughout this evaluation.

Perceivability:

• +Colors still work well with different screen brightness, temperature, etc.
  • ~Colors can sometimes be quite high in contrast and saturation
  • -Missing alt texts for the student hero header and the learndigital world map.
  • -Get In Touch submission notification is easy to miss

Perceivability Score: 3.5/5

Operability:

• -All of the nice buttons, like Apply, Learn More, Get Started, and Get In Touch don’t seem to have alt-text.
  • -Other images have poor alt-text descriptions.
  • ~All links bring users to the same form

Operability Score: 3.5/5

Understandability:

• +Larger headers make glancing through the site easy, whilst still informing the user of important info
  • +Blocks under headers contain concise information
  • +Understandable, simple, and straight-forward content
  • -The NIC Community section promises hands-on access to faculty. It is unclear whether the program is currently online or in class, an important factor for international students.

Understandability Score: 4/5

Robustness:

• +Website scales incredibly well, and handles many devices flawlessly.
  • +Passed all tests of robustness. The website has good HTML!
  • -Scripting was longer to load in tests
  • ~Requires several MB of memory, which is negligible.

Robustness Score: 4/5

Total Accessibility Score:
                                                           15/20

Accessibility challenge Severity:
                                                           4/5

Overall many of the issues were very minor, however some of the alt-text related problems, particularly related to the buttons, could make the site very difficult if not unusable for users reliant upon screen readers.

← Previous Post

Next Post →

1. I feel that is one of the so much vital information for me. And i am happy studying your article. However want to commentary on some normal things, The web site taste is great, the articles is truly great : D. Excellent process, cheers

• ichomancer

Thanks for your feedback, that was very kind of you!

You have a very nice website as well, I like how you customized it. I myself am in need of a new hairstyle soon!

I’m glad you found this information useful. This website is designed for a school course I am taking , on this article I am reviewing the accessibility of North Island Colleges LearnDigital page. If you’re interested in Web Design, it’s a great program, and it’s all online right now, so you can take the course anywhere- whether you’re close to the college or in another country.

It’s interesting to me that you stumbled across it, considering how massive the internet is. Nice to meet you!

Thanks Again,
      -Ichomancer

2. I’m not sure why but this weblog is loading incredibly slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end? I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.

3. Right now it appears like Expression Engine is the preferred blogging platform available right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?